Saturday, September 20, 2008

Revision 1: Fashion in Chapel Hill: Running Shorts


The first day of college: I got all dressed up and tried to make myself look presentable for a university setting, but what is the first thing I hear about my outfit? "You look like a freshman." I didn’t realize what the comment meant until I walked outside and everywhere I turned...  BAM! There was someone with running shorts. 

 

Maybe it is the immense amount of homework or the laid back environment of the university setting that induce the “bum” and sporty attire. Whatever it is, it has turned on its charm in Chapel Hill. As I walked down to class this morning, I could count a 1:1 ratio between girls who were dressed and girls in running shorts. And this afternoon, coming back from classes, I saw more girls in running shorts that were WALKING to class compared to the girls running. 

 

The Running shorts are usually paired with a pair of sneakers and a loose shirt, but more recently I have been seeing them worn with rainbows. Also, as we approach the colder season, I see a lot of Carolina hoodies and long sleep shirts being paired with the shorts.

 

I personally love my running shorts. It’s so loose and thin. They are great on rainy days, because they dry so much faster than regular cotton clothing. In my old days, Soffee brand cotton shorts were the most desired among girls. The cheerleading shorts were tight and very short. They were comfy and I remember wearing them all the time. Though they are still prevalent, I feel like running shorts have definitely taken their place at Chapel Hill.

 

I had to ask my friends how they felt about running shorts and the amount of running shorts worn on this campus. Everyone I have talked to thinks that there is a ridiculous amount of girls who wear them, but they admitted that they were one of them. Every one of them said, “They are so comfy!” I guess a lot of college girls think alike!

 

College is more about studying than what you wear. Every one that comes to Carolina is the kind of student in high school that didn’t have to work too hard to get their good grades, but now that the college workload has kicked in its hard to balance time. The first thing that is sacrificed is the getting ready and dressing up time. It’s a direct relationship! As the amount of homework increases, the amount of running shorts increase! And that seems to be just the case here at Carolina…But hey, though homework might not be the best thing in the whole wide world… running shorts are great! Or at least it was good enough to talk a whole page about them (:  

No comments: