When you walk through a high school, there are many students, especially boys, who wear college apparel. Whether it is their parent’s school or their personal dream school, there is much of it. I didn’t expect to see all the college apparel in college as well! Because everyone goes here, I didn’t think they would have of the clothes. In high school, we were so concerned about someone having the same outfit as us, or even just a shirt, but in college, I see so many of the navy blue shirts with light blue letters of “CAROLINA” and there’s not a concern in the world if someone else has the same shirt!
It is mostly t-shirts I see as Carolina apparel. It is something that can be worn anytime. It can be paired with sweatpants or running shorts for a leisurely, sporty look, or a pair of jeans for just an everyday, casual outfit. There are also so many different shirts to choose from. While the most popular is definitely the original “CAROLINA” shirt, which comes in navy blue, white and Tar Heel blue, there are a lot of new designs. There are a lot of shirts against our biggest rival, the Duke Blue Devils. Some T-shirt stores have a whole section dedicated to hateful Duke shirts.
So people have to buy their piles of Carolina shirts from somewhere! There are so many shops on Franklin Street that have a huge supply of all these shirts. They are so over priced though. The options are the best, but if you want just a plain Carolina shirt, your best bet is a Wal-Mart near the Chapel Hill area. They have so much plain Carolina items for so much cheaper than the stores on Franklin. Though Wal-Mart is so cheap compared to the Franklin Street stores, they are still ridiculously popular. I guess it’s the location. Because it is so close to campus students find it really reliable and if a fan forgets a shirt, it’s just a 10-minute walk to Franklin to buy a t-shirt from the famous Johnny T-shirt or the Tar Heel Bookstore.
Along with T-Shirts, there are also sweatpants and shorts that say Carolina on them. I don’t really see the use in these. Why pay triple for a pair of sweatpants you can get at target just because they say Carolina Tar Heels on them? And the shorts are the same way. For me, I find it useless to buy something that you can get so much cheaper just without the name of your college on it. The sweatshirts are really useful though. Just like the shirts they could make an outfit sporty or just the right amount of casual. It is so warm to just sink into your sheets with a hoodie on and go to bed.
All this Carolina apparel is great to see at a football game, but when I first got to Chapel Hill, it was a lot of swallow. Now I have adjusted to seeing so much Carolina apparel, and have become one that wears it a lot. I wonder if every college is like this..?
2 comments:
I would have to say I LOVE all of the people here wearing our school colors, and even the same exact apparel without caring that everyone else has the exact same item on. :) It's what makes it really seem like a college type of attitude to not only not care, but appreciate someone else's good taste. We worked so hard; why not show everyone our pride? I remember walking through the halls of my high school wearing my Carolina gear just so that everyone knew what I represented. It's not only an outstanding university, but the athletics are more than amazing.
The convenience has a lot to do with why a lot of us will just buy the overpriced item when we could indeed go to the Wal*mart, and pick something cheaper there. My reasoning is, cheaper prices means cheaper quality. You may pay less now, but my experience shows that if you do you'll end up paying the same amount for that one "expensive" item you didn't want to get later on anyways. Whether it be in the wash or constant wear something is bound to happen that makes you get another item to replace it far sooner than you would've for spending a little extra the first time around.
I must say I do disagree on the whole bottom apparel part a bit. Simply because today I was looking at all the cute sweatpants that said Carolina wanting desperately that they would have it in my size. All the smalls were gone, and there I was thinking why it was priced so much. The label alone means everything. Sure, you can find something cheaper without the logo, but it's just like buying the hoodie or shirt. With those you can wear a normal shirt, and still represent your school. I don't know if it's every college, but I'm sure glad it's that way here. All the Carolina Blue everywhere has yet [and probably never will] to be an eye sore. :)
I agree with you, when I first came to Carolina it completely took me by surprise that so many people wore Carolina gear all the time. I know kids in high school wear it a lot but I never thought that when you actually went to the school you would actually have shirts, shorts, sweats, jackets, and even hats. It took me by surprise but I absolutely love it! I wear Carolina stuff all the time know whether I am going to class or to a party, it doesn’t matter to me, and it also helps that there are thousands of other students doing the same thing. I also agree with you that the prices in all the stores down Franklin street is completely outrageous , I bought all my Carolina cloths in Wal-Mart and target cause it’s the same thing just a lot cheaper! But anyways, Carolina gear is a must if you go to school here; we should be proud of where we are at and represent it by showing off that we love it here by wearing Carolina things no matter what the occasion is.
Post a Comment