Monday, November 3, 2008

Fashions in Chapel Hill: Halloween Report


October 31st. This is probably the most anticipated holiday by the Triangle area college students. Franklin Street was not as packed as the past events, but it was still filled with a variety of different costumes. Something I noticed that was different between the outfits on Franklin and back at home had to be the level of… sluttiness. I didn’t there were so many outfits that could be so scandalous. Although a lot of girls were very underdressed, there were also many original and funny outfits out there.

The outfit I saw the most roaming the streets of Franklin HAD to be Sarah Palin. The high waisted pencil skirt with a blouse and a pair of glasses as the final touch seems to be the easiest and most conservative for all the girls that I saw. It didn’t really matter what the other girls were, as long as they were wearing… nothing. I saw many girls with their boobs up to their chin and their butts hanging out of the bottom of their skirts. I guess there is no other time than college to not be judged too harshly for wearing scandalous things for Halloween.

I believe it were the guy’s fashions that were more interesting than the girl’s during this holiday. I saw so many John McCain and Barrack Obama out on the streets! Politics became sort of like a theme for this Halloween. Along with the presidential candidates costumes there were also many Joe the Plummer costume walking down the street.

Another favorite male costume was the Joker from Batman. There were some that looked so much like the Joker it was scary! The men’s costume are always so much more original because you see less men going out and buying costumes, so they end up making their own. It was always so much fun to see what they have come up with, granted the limited amount of things in their rooms.

The two most creative costumes, I saw, go to the ping-pong table and the 4 people being Tetris blocks. The ping-pong table had a board on his back and every couple of minutes he will bend over so the board, which looked like a ping-pong table, would be parallel to the ground. This allowed for two people to play ping-pong for a while, on the middle of Franklin! There are four different pieces to Tetris. For Halloween four guys decided to be the unique four blocked shapes. They would bounce around and then come back together to form a rectangle!

Halloween use to be a holiday where we dress up as anything we wanted to be, or better yet, any costume our parents would want to by for us. As we grow up, we decided making our own decisions on the costumes we wanted to pick and now that we are in college, I don’t think we want our parents to see what we were dressed as. These are our last years to really get into the Halloween spirit, so why not make the most of it, on Franklin Street!

No comments: