Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fashion in Chapel HIll: Boots


There are so many boots on this campus! As the weather changed, the college campus was infested with all different types of boots! There are different types of boots that fit different styles. The most common boots I have seen are the UGG brand fur boots and the flat suede boots.

Every boot must fit the style that it is trying to portray. One boot that I have seen work in so many different styles is UGGs. A pair of UGGs can make any outfit. These boots are ridiculously expensive. I guess it is because they are from Australia, but I have heard the shoes are so comfortable and warm. They come in many different colors. Though I personally do not really understand the use of pastel colored UGGs because they would get so dirty but the chestnut color seems to be the one most worn. I have seen them worn the most with dark skinny jeans. I have also seen the boots with a season favorite, tights. They make every outfit look warmer and cuter.

Because these UGGs are so popular there are many “fakes.” Many imitation boots are made because of the huge demand but high price. The fakes are a nice investment if brand names are not a big thing for you. Also, they are many that look exactly like UGGs but just do not say the name on them. One big different that the money affects on the quality of the real UGGs is its comfort. I guess comfort is one thing that can be bought with money.

Another type of boot that I have seen a lot this season is the flat suede boots. These boots are also accompanied with tights and skinny jeans. I really like the fact that these boots are fashionable. Along with providing more comfort than heels, they make an outfit look dressier, and more high fashion. The UGG boots provide more of a casual look. UGGs can be worn with sweatpants, but that is one thing that flat suede boots could never do.  I have seen the suede boots in many different forms. There are different shapes and cuts to the boots that differ with every designer and every style the designer puts out, compared to the standard UGG boots. The price range for these boots are around $60-160. There are also flat leather boots. These are a little bit more expensive.

Some of the boots that are not as popular but still seen around campus are cowboy boots and leather heeled boots. Because heels are so uncomfortable and being a student at Chapel Hill requires so much walking, leather heeled boots, that are so common in other professions, are less prevalent. Cowboy boots are also not as prevalent, but there are a handful that I have seen around parties. I have seen many girls wear cute dresses with a pair of cowboy boots. Skinny jeans also go well with these boots. I think because we are in an area where there are less cows and farming there are less girls wearing such footwear.

There are so many different types of boots, but Carolina seems to be dominated by UGGs and flat suede boots.

No comments: