Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fashions in Chapel Hill: Northface, Columbia and Mountain Hardwear


Coming back from fall break, it’s like a whole new season. Seems like there was not much of a fall this year. It went from a t-shirt and shorts to jeans, boots and a jacket. Speaking of jackets, can we please talk about all name brand jackets that we see EVERYWHERE on campus? It seems like three brands dominate the scene: Northface, Columbia and Mountain Hardwear.

Northfaces are own by so many people! I swear at least one out of four people are wearing them when I walk to class! They are by far the most popular but why? I own a Northface jacket but I have found it not to be as great as everyone made it out to be. I spent about $100 on the type I got, and it is nice to wear but I mean it was definitely not worth what it was. There are many different types of Northfaces as well. There are just raincoats to full on ski apparel. Most of them are expensive but it seems to be really popular. I think it is more the idea of having a Northface that gets people to buy them rather than the utility of it.

Mountain Hardwear is a brand that was not very popular in my old school but now that I’ve come to college I see so much more of it. And it seems so comfortable! The type of jackets that I see are very similar to the Denali style of Northfaces, but the fleece on the jacket is different. It looks a lot softer and fluffier. The people that wore it at my old school were the ones that did ski a lot, but now seeing it more commonly at this campus, I want one because of the comfort level. These jackets are about $140 for a standard fleece jacket that is so popular among this campus. Both Northfaces and Mountain Hardwear can easily be paired with jeans or sweatpants and look very cute. These jackets are also very nice because North Carolina does not get all that cold, so instead of investing in a huge jacket, a fleece jacket might be all you need to save yourself from the chills.

Northfaces and Mountain Hardwear are both very popular brands, but also very expensive. They are not really what we would call an affordable price. So there are many other fleece jackets out there! Columbia is a brand that comes out with cheaper but none the less, very functional fleece jackets. They are just as good as Northfaces but they don’t have the brand label. Some people really care about that stuff, but I mean if you like the idea of playing half the price of a Northface, Columbia is a very good option. Also Nike has been coming out with a lot of fleece ski apparel that is also significantly cheaper than Northfaces and Mountain Hardwear. If you visit Dick’s Sporting Goods, they offer many different cheaper alternatives to the popular Northface and Mountain Hardwear in their ski corner during the winter.

Keep these tips in mind the next time you are looking for a jacket, and remember to stay warm during these crazy cold days.

 

1 comment:

Felipe said...

I completely agree with your post and yea walking through campus at least 1 person out of every 4 definitely has a Northface jacket not only that but i am sure that every single person in a frat has one, all i ever see them wear are khakis and a Northface. These jackets are really expensive and I also think they are not worth the price, it's just the name that makes it so expensive. Columbus jackets are almost the exact same thing but just about $70 cheaper. I like Northface jackets and i even have two but i still say there nothing special as some one would think from the price, and I sometimes dont even want to wear it just because so many people do. Anyways great topic to talk about.