Monday, November 10, 2008

Fashions in Chapel Hill: Tights


As the season gets colder, there has to be other options than just jeans to keep a girl warm. To be able to wear dresses and skirts during the winter, we are provided with TIGHTS!

Tights are everywhere on campus! The gym, just walking on Franklin and at cocktails, you name it, someone is where them there. They are so comfortable and with all different colors available they can go with any outfit. Also the fact that their popularity has put them in almost all clothing stores helps in their accessibility.

There are different lengths and different cuts of tights. The tights that comes mid calf length can have a regular cut, lace on the end or sometimes they have other design on the bottom. These I have often seen this length of tights paired with casual dresses or skirts. I have also seen this length of tights paired with a long shirt or sweatshirt. Though the long shirt can be a going out outfit, the sweatshirt and tights is a variation on the sweatpants with sweatshirt modified to make it a little less manly. And the comfort level: equally as soft and stretchy as sweats.

There are also the longer tights. There are ones to the ankle. I have often seen these paired with work out clothes. Because of their comfort and stretchiness they are often worn under running shorts to make the winter weather more bearable for those who want to jog outside.

Another pair of tights that I have found very useful for outfits that use the footless tights are tights with hooks around the foot. This prevents the tights from sliding up. These tights can also be used for skirts and dresses if the footwear used are boots. The hook on the bottom prevents the turning if the tights when walking like the calf tights do if accompanied by boots.

The last type of tights that I have seen is commonly known as stockings. They cover the entire bottom half of your body, from waist to toes. Stockings are most commonly paired with more formal dresses and skirts. They are also worn with heels. Though the fabric used for tights are usually cotton, stockings are used with spandex or even thinner material because they rare not worn alone. There are also shorter tights that do use spandex material.

The most popular color of tights is definitely black. I have seen a lot different colors around as tights become more popular. White is something I have seen a lot with stockings. With tights dark colors such as brown and dark grey are popular colors accompanying black. I have seen pastels and bright colors on the racks of some stores such as Urban Outfitter. I also saw a girl wearing bright blue tights. I think the colors of tights and stockings should be black white and neutrals, because when it gets to bright colors its starts over taking the outfit. Also the type of person wearing tights should make sure that the tights are flattering to their figure. The color also matters. Black seems to be the best color to slim legs and gray usually expands the width of legs when they are a little bigger.

Hopefully these tips help to pick the right tights for you!

3 comments:

brett said...

Although I don't actually own a pair of tights, I still felt compelled to respond to this post because of the picture you chose to represent it. Awesome choice. Seeing Serena and Blair at the top of your blog definitely caught my attention.
As a guy, to say that I feel unqualified to give any sort of opinion on tights from a fashion perspective would be a huge understatement. However, I can say that I think they are usually very flattering when chosen responsibly. Like a few weeks ago on Gossip Girl when Blair was trying to seduce Chuck and she had on those white stockings or whatever and was sitting on his car. And of course she had to lean back and expose a little skin above the stocking. That was great.
Perhaps the best thing about tights, like you said, is that they are practical as well as fashionable. Many runners opt for them over sweat pants during the winter because they don't restrict your motion or get in the way while you're running. I have to admit that I actually considered buying a pair for strictly running purposes last week, but I decided that I was way too manly to wear skin-tight clothing on my lower body. I mean if I was Michael Phelps going for Olympic gold and it would make me a little faster, then sure I would break out the spandex. Sadly, it is highly unlikely that I will be competing in the Olympics any time soon, so I decided to play it safe and stick with my traditional running shorts.

g. said...

Tights!! By far one of my favorite articles of clothing. I am excited to see that girls are finally graduating their wardrobes from those atrocious mid-calf leggings to full-length footies! Although I do wear running tights I primarily stick to wearing stockings in my outfits. These amazing inventions add flare to my outfits as well as keep me warm. Coving my toes and even belly, these blankets of stretchy fabric allow me to wear cute dresses out but shield me from the cold. They also allow me to extend my wardrobe season. As far as the various colors and textures in my closet, well the options are endless. I probably have at least 10 different tights bundled up in my drawers right now –red, yellow, black, gray. But my favorite pairs are the ones that have a little bit of detail in them such as argyle printing, stripes, squares, and of course fishnets. The next pair I’m looking for is plum purple and a light gray cotton knit pair.

xoxo Maria said...

I had to leave a comment on this one simply because Brett's reason for commenting on this was just too funny. Of course, males can't wear tights so it's kind of cool to have something just for girls. Having him flashback to the scene with Chuck & Blair is probably why some girls do wear stockings. Mostly, it's because the weather IS just too much to handle for bare legs alone. We try to keep our dresses and skirts in season throughout all the seasons it seems. I don't know, personally I like how each season has its own thing. This fashion of wearing tights takes the skirts & dress out of the mix simply just for warm weather. With every season should come its own fashion; winter is jeans. They're so many different styles you can mix it up with [like you've said in one of your previous blogs]. I may be my own hypocrite because I think tights/stockings are cute, when worn correctly. Nice blog and throwing in the GG material was pure genius. :)