Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Fashions in Chapel Hill: Running Shorts






The first day of college: I got all dressed up and tried to make myself look presentable for a university setting, but what is the first thing I hear about my outfit? "You look like a freshman." When I walked out to my class I realized I had forgotten the memo to wear RUNNING SHORTS. Everywhere I turned...  BAM! There was someone with running shorts. 

 

I have heard that many wear very sporty and "bum" clothes when they arrive to college. Maybe it is the immense amount of homework or the ridiculous amounts of freedom we receive with out our parents that causes this, but if it is, I have definitely seen its effects in action. As I walked down to class this morning, I could count a 1:1 ratio between girls who were dressed and girls in running shorts. This afternoon, coming back from classes, I saw more girls in running shorts that were WALKING to class compared to the girls running. 

 

I love my running shorts. It’s so loose and thin. They are great on rainy days, because they dry so much faster than regular cotton clothing. In my old days, Soffee brand cotton shorts were the most desired among girls. The cheerleading shorts were tight and very short. They were comfy and I remember wearing them all the time. I guess running shorts have definitely taken their place. One advantage they do provide is their longer length and free feeling.

 

I had to ask my friends how they felt about running shorts and the amount of running shorts worn on this campus. Everyone I have talked to thinks that there is a ridiculous amount of girls who wear them, but they admitted that they were one of them. Every one of them said, “They are so comfy!” I guess a lot of college girls think alike!

 

College is more about studying than what you wear. You spend loads of time working on homework and studying all that it is hard to find the time to get ready and dress up. From this we can learn not to only judge people by their appearance or the amount of running shorts they wear per week, but all of their other attributes. So moral of the story: don’t judge a book by its cover, and running shorts are THE pop culture fashion at Chapel Hill. 

2 comments:

Cameron Nadler said...

i personally think that less people than you think wear running shorts in Chapel Hill. Although i am a guy, i have seen more girls wear liek summer dresses and things like that. At least most of the girls i have met in the recent weeks of being here. Although i am from the north so i'm not used to this hot and humid weather, so it might just be something i have not noticed yet. I just think that less people wear running shorts than you think. There may be more than usual, but it is quite hot outside, i mean i wear basketball shorts a lot more often since i've moved down here. Up north in the summer you can be comfortable wearing slacks or even jeans some days, here its impossible so far to wear jeans. The humidity is quite unbearable. The fact is that I feel that running shorts are not as prominent as your making it sound.

Kayla said...

I have to agree with the fact that girls here in college do wear more running shorts than the norm did at high school, but I think it really depends on the time of day and the weather for most girls on when to put on running shorts or when to dress up. If you walk around in the morning when people are heading to their 8 or 9 o clock classes, pretty much every girl has running shorts on with her hair tied up. Let’s face it, nobody wants to get up an hour even earlier to look cute only to sit through a lecture. Also, the day of the week has an impact because who wants to wake up and get ready for school on Monday? Girls use that extra time on Monday to sleep or catch up on homework they totally skipped out on over the weekend. And naturally, like you said, the weather has a huge impact on a girl’s outfit for the day because it makes no sense for her to wear her favorite cotton sundress and straighten her hair only to get soaked the moment she goes outside. However, there are more than just running shorts around campus and when the weather is optimum and its later in the afternoon, you will see more girls dressed in something other than gym attire.